Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Under The Texas Sun



From the profile of Under The Texas Sun , one of my fellow members of Etsy Texas Crafters ;                                                                         Howdy Ya'll




I have always done some kind of craft. I come from a “crafty” family. I can’t remember a time when my Grandmother didn’t have some kind of yarn work in her hands…in fact my kids nicknamed her the “grandma who sews”. My mother always did crafts. As an adult when I would go to visit her, we would spend the first couple of hours showing each other the projects we were working on and our ideas for others. Before she died in 1991 we talked of having some kind of craft shop. I hope to be able to make our “dreams” come true.

I have dabbled in most types of crafts over the years, worked in a craft store and a fabric store. I started working in leather the later part of 2008. I own an Arabian horse and anyone who has one of the petite breeds know how frustrating it is to find tack that will fit them properly. Horse size equipment is too big and pony size is too small. After practicing on scrap leather, I made a breast collar with tooled red roses across the front and a bridle with red and white rhinestones. And all of it fit her perfectly. I enjoyed it so much that I started making gifts for my family. My daughter’s boyfriend has always said I should try to sell it. I started on Etsy after getting laid off. I learned of Etsy from my jewelry/metalsmith teacher, my last class for my accounting degree. I have enjoyed it so much that I am taking more classes and hope to sell jewelry too…my husband just bought me a welding set!! *****What beautiful work she does , hope you will check her shop out on Etsy ! Just click on the link in the title or go to http://UnderThe TexasSun.etsy.com

2 comments:

Eclectic Design Choices said...

Good luck with your business venture. You make beautiful things. I used to have a half Arab half quarter horse. Your handmade bridal, etc. sounds wonderful.

GrandmaMarilyn said...

I hope you make it big. Glad to get to know you.