Thursday, October 4, 2007

Junkyard Gypsy



This is the most unique of all the shops I have seen on Etsy , yet ! Meet Beth Hinson and read what she says about her shop and her work :
My name is Beth Hinson, from Albemarle, NC, and my shop is called the Junkyard Gypsy. This is a brand new venture for me - I've only been on etsy for about 3 weeks, and just started about 4 months ago playing around with some assemblages. I LOVE to go to estate sales, antique auctions, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. and eventually had accumulated a lot of stuff that I didn't know what to do with. Odd pieces that really aren't that useful by themselves tend to catch my eye for whatever reason - a broken doll or an old beat up pot or a beautiful piece of flatware - I like to imagine the stories these things would tell if they could talk LOL. So anywho, one thing led to another, one piece of "junk" added to the next, and eventually pieces started to literally fall together. I would look in a box and see a sifter had gotten lodged against a round bowl, and voila! it looked like a head with a hat on it. And as fate would have it, in the spring I left an administrative job that I had been in for 22 years, where I had gradually come to feel totally stifled. That freed up some time for me to do something just for me and revive some small level of creativity that I had not used for a long, long time. I feel like a kid who has been let loose in a candy store - I am literally having that much fun! My husband is also a treasure trove of ideas and help - he has a workshop with all the tools I could ever imagine, and has been teaching me how to use them - I feel like Rosie the Riveter! As I began to come up with some pieces that I kind of liked, and began to show them around to some friends and get there feedback, I realized there might just be a niche market for what I was doing, and etsy seemed like the perfect outlet! I'm proud to say that a lot of the pieces used in my assemblages are "rescued" from their probable fate of winding up in the local landfill. So far, the Junkyard Gypsy adventure has been loads of fun for me - I'm looking forward to taking it a step further, and hopefully doing some craft shows next year, so keep your eye out for the gypsy caravan!
Please visit her shop http://JunkyardGypsy.etsy.com

1 comment:

Sygnet Creations said...

wow I am going to have to check out her shop...she sounds like alot of fun and very creative!Thanks for sharing